Arthritis Drugs - Is the Cure Worse Than the Disease?
Research is always ongoing into new and better medications for arthritis which is a very good thing. But where is all this leading us?
- Of course we need effective pain medication for arthritis to enable sufferers to live normal lives.
- But are all these expensive medications controlling the disease or simply masking the symptoms?
Here's a "quick and dirty" lowdown on what's currently available both "over the counter" (OTC) as well as on prescription only.
For Mild Situations of Arthritis -
Some milder cases of arthritis never make it into the doctor's surgery. Indeed the sufferer might not even be aware that they are suffering from arthritis at all. They may be feeling a few aches and pains" that they put down to senior years or even the cold damp weather.
- That may be all well and good, but even OTC medications can be dangerous if taken over a long period of time.
- The thought of more will be better" can also happen when the pain gradually becomes worse.
- This can lead to serious side effects.
- OTC medications include aspirin and ibuprofen.
- These kinds of drugs can cause intestinal bleeding and kidney damage in large doses.
- Aspirin also destroys vitamin C in the body leading to lower immunity.
For Heightened Arthritis-
By this particular stage most people have consulted their doctor. Prescription medication at this stage normally consists of theNonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or perhaps NSAIDS. These do target the pain and irritation of joint disease symptoms but have a range of side effects including stomach upset, abdominal pain, and ulcers.
People with high blood pressure, those with kidney problems and especially people who have heart problems are especially at risk with NSAIDS.
- Enter the COX-2 inhibitors.
- These have been designed for people whose stomach problems can't tolerate the above mentioned.
- Unfortunately the risks remain for chest pain, heart attack and stroke victims.
For Advanced Arthritis-
For those suffering extreme pain and swelling the medical profession brings out the heavy artillery - Corticosteroids. These types of drugs contain man made cortisone and can be injected directly into the affected joints or taken orally.
- Long term use of these could produce sleep problems, weight gain, osteoporosis and loss of defense.
- Also available to those for who nothing else seems to work are usually Biologic Response ModifiersBiologics).
- Biologics are derived from live resources, plants and animals and are not really manufactured chemically.
- They are mainly used for sufferers of Rheumatoid Arthritis and are given intravenously or perhaps by injection.
- They cannot be used tablet form.
- Biologics suppress the immune system that leaves people prone to infections.
- They are also very expensive and can't be stored without freezing.
Also available mainly to Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferers areDisease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDS) These work by stopping the immune system from attacking the joints. DMARDS may take up to three months to reduce symptoms nevertheless they do help to stop shared damage although they can't repair any earlier damage.
How to Cure Gout Naturally - Simple Gout Treatment at Home - Home Remedies for Gout
http://homeyog.com This video shows how to cure gout naturally at home. The gout treatment mentioned in the video is a very old one and has been used for ...
Although these types of drugs are a boon to many, they work primarily at hiding the symptoms of arthritis and can not reverse the damage already caused. Most people thinks this is impossible, it isn't!
Natural treatments for arthritis do exist and can significantly stop some cases of arthritis, relieve pain and inflammation and in some cases, reverse joint damage.
Definitely Worth a Try!
About the author:Find out about the healthy way to deal with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout and fibromylagia. Visit: http://www.natural-arthritis-medication.com and sign up for our part course. Wendy Owen is actually a health investigator and author.