Could Your Shoes Be Causing Gout?
Here's a piece of health advice for those who suffer gout: take note of what shoes you are wearing. A new study shows that wearing poor footwear is common among gout patients and leads directly to more pain and greater disability.
According to the new examine, gout patients who make poor footwear choices experienced higher foot-related discomfort, impairment as well as disability. Gout patients also reported that comfort, fit, support and cost were the most important factors for selecting footwear.
Gout is a type of inflammatory arthritis caused by the crystallization of uric acid within the joints and other tissues. It leads to extreme pain and inflammation, along with the majority of cases affecting the feet -- particularly the big toe. A study published last month showed that doctor-diagnosed gout has gone up over the past 20 years and now affects 8.3 million people in the U.S. Furthermore, older studies have shown that gout contributes to changes in individuals gait (in order to avoid pain) and thus sets the stage for damaged foot function.
Here, New Zealand researchers recruited 50 patients with a history of gout and looked at each case, overall function, foot impairment, and disability. They assessed what footwear the patients had and why they chose it.
Low Uric Acid Diet - How a Low Uric Acid Diet Can Relieve Your Gout A low uric acid diet is essential if you re suffering gout right now and also for preventing your gout returning in the future. But when folks refer to it as a low uric acid eating habits it really means a low purine diet, which you ll find out...
- They learned that gout patients often wore improper footwear and experienced moderate to be able to severe foot pain, impairment and disability.
- Roughly 56% of patients made good footwear choices by wearing walking shoes or boots, fitness sneakers, or oxfords.
- These are more likely to provide pain relief and not make patients walk funny.
- Of the remaining patients, 42% used footwear which was considered poor.
- These include sandals, flip-flops, slippers, or perhaps moccasins.
How to Remove Uric Acid Crystallization in Joints - How to Cure Gout and Joint pain
Millions of people are affected by joint pain and gout as a result of uric acid build up and crystallization in the joints. It's an unpleasant condition which can luckily ...
- Poor footwear lacks support, has improper padding, is actually less secure, and has less motion control.
- Those gout patients who wore poor shoes or sandals reported higher foot-related disadvantages as well as disability.
- More than half of all participants wore shoes that were 12 months or older and showed excessive use patterns.
- Basically, the idea here is that if you have gout or are at risk of it, you should make sure you have good shoes that are stable and well-cushioned.
- As well, it's a good idea to replace shoes once they become less able to fulfill these qualities.
- After all, you don't want to stop doing physical activity.
Susie is a leading curator at omex3.com, a resource about alternative natural health. Last year, Susie worked as a post curator at a well-known tech web site. When she's not sourcing web posts, Susie enjoys working out and skateboarding.