The Abc Nutrients for Bone Health
Joint pain is a major national health concern affecting 50 million Americans who suffer from some form of arthritis, gout, lupus, or fibromyalgia. Although these are not life-threatening illnesses, the severity of this disease could debilitate lives in more ways than one leading to social, physical, economical and also emotional implications.
Arthritis remains one of the most common cause of disability with around 47.5 million reporting a disability in 2005. Of these, 22.5 million Americans expressed their most common disability was not being able to walk 3 city blocks and about 21.7 million of them reported not having the ability to climb a flight of stairs. Disability risks increase with age and women tend to suffer more than men, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.1-2
As baby boomers enter into the 65+ age group, the number of adults with a disability due to more than one joint or bone disease is expected to rise significantly in the coming years creating a expanding consumer market for joint and bone health supplements.
Nutrition - a Modifiable Factor in Bone Health
Calcium and vitamin D are now synonymous with bone health and just about everybody knows that these two essential nutrients are required for improving bone mineral density and reducing the risk of fracture. However, after reviewing the science related to bone health, researchers at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon concluded that other vitamins, too, may have an influential role to play in promoting bone health.
Findings from this in-depth review demonstrated that adequate intakes of vitamin b complex, vitamins C, E and K were associated with positive bone mineral density (BMD) and decreased risk of fractures. Below is a list of some other vitamins that these researchers have equated with optimal joint and bone health. Researchers believe a lack of any one of these important nutrients may result in compromised bone health.3
- Vitamin B - A deficiency in vitamin B results in elevated levels of homocysteine (an amino acid) in the body.
- High levels of homocysteine are usually associated with increased risk of heart disease, cognitive decline, dementia and chronic bone loss.
- An insufficient intake of vitamin b may therefore lead to a decrease in bone strength and a higher risk of break.
- Vitamin C helps in creating ideal bone fragments matrix apparently through the hydroxylation of lysine and proline, both amino acids.
- These amino acids are required by the body for forming steady collagen structures promoting optimal bone development.
- Vitamin K helps to activate osteocalcin, a protein required for the employment of calcium in bone tissue.
- Osteocalcin is actually dependent on vitamin K and would remain inactive without it, thus resulting in calcium loss.
Vitamin A - A review of studies conducted on vit a and its relation to bone health are inconsistent but indicate in which deficiency as well as an excessive intake can result in compromised bone health. Too much vitamin a, particularly in the form of retinol (the most commonly bioactive form of vitamin A), may lead to bone loss and an increased risk of hip fractures. Scientists also believe that excessive intake of vitamin A may interfere with Vitamin D's role in the body which is to absorb calcium.4
Other Nutrients that Play a Role in Bone Health
Addition to vitamins, a report from the surgeon General on bone health and brittle bones listings an array of nutrients, beyond vitamin D and limescale, required with regard to promoting bone health:5
Boron -enhances the absorption of calciumCopper -helps in creating optimal bone matrix that strengthens bonesFluoride - stimulates new bone production which is required for the development of dental and skeletal systems. Iron - helps in creating optimal bone matrix that strengthens bonesIsoflavones - demonstrate a protective influence on bones but a lot more research is required with human studies to confirm this. Magnesium - enhances bone tissue high quality and may improve bone mineral density.
Foods to Control Gout Attacks
Food may be nearly as effective at controlling gout as medicine is, so it's important to watch what you eat if you've got gout. This health video from About.com will ...
- Regarding 60 percent of the magnesium in our bodies can be found in bones along with calcium and phosphorous.
- Studies also indicate that an insufficient intake of magnesium may interfere with the body's ability to process calcium.
- Phosphorous - supports the building of bone and other tissue during the rise stage.
- About 85 percent of the phosphorous in our bodies is found in the bones, with phosphate making up more than 50 percent of our bone mineral mass.
- A few studies suggest that too much phosphorous may interfere with the absorption of calcium.
- Protein - helps heal fractures.
- Zinc - helps in creating optimal bone matrix that strengthens bones
Formulating Comprehensive Bone Health Supplements
Spite of the escalating numbers at risk of bone disease, the good news is that adequate nutrition can play a positive role in editing bone health conditions. This gives opportunities for supplement business owners to provide their customers with a variety of outstanding bone and joint health formulations to preserve bone health, increase bone strength and reduce the risk of osteoporosis and fractures. To make producing easier, look well-designed stock formulas from a high-quality supplement manufacturer.
According to Frost & Sullivan, in 2008 the market for bone and joint health components was estimated at $178 million and is expected to grow to $246 million by 2015.6 According to the Nourishment Business Journal, vitamin D and calcium drew the most important sales. In 2009, sale of calcium supplements totaled $1.2 million and that of vitamin D accounted for $430 million.7-8 Going beyond vitamin D and calcium, consumer appreciation is being drawn to other nutrients that have a beneficial influence on bone health.
Find out how you can produce science-backed, multi-spectrum or stand-alone supplements to promote optimal bone and joint health for your customers by contacting GMP-certified vitamin manufacturers. A one-stop in-house supplement manufacturer can certainly help you get your products off the ground and running in no time. For speed and convenience, look for contract manufacturers that offer customized manufacturing solutions such as label design services, presentation solutions, purchase fulfillment and fall shipping companies. A superior quality product with creative label designs is easy to market and can make your own brand easily distinguishable inside the marketplace!
Arthritis-Related Statistics: Prevalence of Arthritis, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. cdc.gov/arthritis/datastatistics/arthritisrelatedstats.htm47.5 Million U.S. Grown ups Report a Disability; Arthritis Remains Most common Cause, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. cdc.gov/Features/dsAdultDisabilityCauses/Vitamins and bone health: past calcium and vitamin D, Nutrition Reviews, Volume 69, Issue 10, pages 584-598, Oct 2011. onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00372.x/abstractVitamin A and Bone Health, National Institute of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases Countrywide Resource Center, niams.nih.gov/HealthInfo/Bone/BoneHealth/Nutrition/vitamina.aspOther Nutrients and Bone Health With a Glance, National Institute of Health Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center, niams.nih.gov/HealthInfo/Bone/BoneHealth/Nutrition/othernutrients.aspU.S.
Bone and Joint Well Being Ingredients Market, May 20, 2009, Frost & Sullivan
Frost.com/prod/servlet/report-toc.pag?repid=N58B-01-00-00-00 What are the best selling and fastest growing mineral supplements?, October 27, 2011, Nutrition Business Journal. newhope360.com/research/what-are-top-selling-and-fastest-growing-mineral-supplements Vitamin D recommendation could double, November 17, 2010, Nutrition Business Journal, newhope360.com/vitamins/vitamin-d-recommendation-could-double.
- About the author: Nutricap Labs is actually a full service supplement maker.
- We mainly are usually vitamin manufacturers also production tablets, powders, liquids as well as creams.