Gout Info: Gout: Not just for Men
Gout, a form of arthritis that seems to be more common in men than in women, really does not discriminate according to gender. Women can suffer from this kind of painful condition, too, especially after menopause. Some studies even suggest that there is a definite increase in women with gout, particularly among the aging female population. The exact reason for the rise of gout among women remains uncertain. An Increase in age, obesity, alcohol consumption, high blood pressure, and diuretic use have traditionally been associated with the risk of developing gout among women and men.
Weight is an Issue that Needs to be Addressed
Excess weight puts extra stress on the joints and drastically increases the chance of gout as well as hyperuricemia. Sensible weight loss which avoids excessive purines is the correct way for gout patients to lose weight without increasing the risk of illness. High protein diet programs can be dangerous as most protein comes from meat as well as fish. Furthermore avoid low carbohydrate diets; instead maintaining a balance of various nutrition.
There is actually increased hope for the roughly 3% of persistent, severe gout sufferers who do not respond to current gout medications. In recent stage III trials of the new gout medication Krystexxa, a good impressive 42% of refractory gout patients achieved statistically significant reductions in uric acid levels, as well as sustained these for six months. This particular exceeeded the target amount set for the study by the drug's manufacturer, Savient Pharmaceuticals. Compared, these gout patients in the trial that received a placebo saw no reduction in uric acid levels.
- Gout, for the information of those who have not yet experienced it, is an unexpected, excruciating, burning pain.
- It is usually in conjunction with swelling and inflammation in the affected area.
- Gout is considered to be more popular with the affluent people who developed the habit of drinking frequently while enjoying rich foods.
- Nevertheless, gout still affects people from all walks of life.
Ardea Biosciences had been the first one to announce prosperous clinical trials of its experimental gout drug RDEA594, also called Lesinurad. Lesinurad's mechanism of action is different from that of the commonly prescribed xanthine oxidase inhibitors gout medications (such as allopurinol and febuxostat), which decrease the development of uric acid.
- You might be one of the thousands upon thousands of people who thought gout was a thing of the past.
- However, it is alive and well in today's overweight society.
- Obesity is one of the main contributors which can cause this painful attack on your joints.
The Avoidance of Alcohol is an Important Factor for You to Keep in Mind
Extra alcohol affects the removal of uric acid from your body. A gout attack formulated with alcohol will go bad quickly, as hyperuricemia may appear. Ideally alcohol should be completely eradicated by just about all gout sufferers.
- All but one of the doses showed that BCX4208 was superior to the placebo when used with allopurinol.
- The BCX4208 doses looked at in the study showed response rates ranging from 33% to 49%, compared to 18% for those taking the placebo.
- Do you eat a lot of meat, especially redcolored meat?
- If you do it will help you to lose those extra pounds by restricting yourself to 6 ounces of meat per day (preferably chicken or fish).
- In addition it'll reduce the chances of a gout attack occurring.
- This is due to the purines present in meats.
- If gout sufferers eat a lot of food that contains purines (a chemical) then uric acid can form, leading to gout.
- High levels of uric acid tend to be the cause of gout, an extremely painful form of arthritis.
- The excess acid crystallizes into filling device sharp deposits in the joints, usually at the bottom of the big toe.
- The actual uric acid can also form knobby, chalky mounds called tophi.
- Tophi can be reabsorbed back into the body if uric acid levels are reduced.
- Forty percent of the trial members with tophi skilled a resolution of one or more of the lumpy deposits.
More lately, explains to you of BioCryst Pharmaceuticals rose 12% upon the release of the results of its phase 2b randomized, double-blind, study of the investigational gout drug BCX4208. BCX4208 is really a novel enzyme inhibitor that acts upstream of xanthine oxidase in the purine metabolism path to reduce serum uric acid (sUA).
Armed with these amazing new results, Savient Pharmaceuticals promises to amp up promotion of its new gout drug in the US and other countries. Up to now, their advertising efforts have largely been aimed at rheumatologists, but they now plan to expand their own efforts to include primary care physicians. "This really right now is the foundation for our launch of period 2 in to the primary care audience," said Savient Chief Executive Officer John Johnson.
All three groups who were given lesinurad demonstrated substantially lower uric acid levels at the end of the month. The percentage of patients who achieved the target for uric acid levels after treatment was 28% in the placebo group, 71% in the 200 mg team, 76% in the 400 mg team, and 87% in the 600 mg group.
The Lesinurad study involved 208 gout patients who had high blood urate levels for at least Six months, even while taking the gout drug allopurinol. Individuals continued on allopurinol and were randomly assigned to receive either a placebo or lesinurad at doses of 200 mg, 400 mg, or 600 mg for four weeks.
Where Possible These Foods Ought to be Avoided Any Time Following a Diet for Gout
There are many other diet tips that can help to minimize the occurrence of gout and help you lose weight while doing so. These are just a couple of suggestion which may help you. Again check with your doctor to make sure it is ok to use these tips.
How to Lower Uric Acid Naturally
How to Lower Uric Acid Naturally High levels of uric acid in the blood, also called hyperuricemia, can result from either increased production of uric acid in the ...
- One thing that we do know is that we have a larger aging population than in the past, and it continues to grow.
- The number of women who develop gout has doubled.
- Women need to consult with their doctors if they think that they are experiencing the pain of undiagnosed gout..
- Since it has been traditionally associated with men and aging, often women are not diagnosed as early as they could have been, postponing treatment.
- Colcrys 0.6mg tablets might be prescribed for prevention and treatment of gout
Krystexxa (generic name plegloticase) had been FDA approved in 2010 based on earlier clinical trials. The newest gout medication, which is administered by intravenous infusion, is derived from an animal hormone. The pegloticase mechanism of action is different than that of other gout drugs - it converts uric acid to a nontoxic byproduct that is easily excreted in the urine.
Goutezol High Uric Acid ReliefGoutezol Gout Relief contains calming botanicals formulated to gently support healthy uric acid metabolism. Goutezol's active ingredients have been used for many years to support healthy uric acid metabolism, helping in reducing high uric acid levels. Now they are all integrated into this special gout formula. Lowering uric acid and supporting uric acid metabolism has been proven to ease the symptoms related to gout.
Learn More about This Product »
- Two major American drug companies are racing to get compete with new gout medications to market.
- Equally gout drugs take novel approaches to treating refractory gout - gout that has not responded well in order to current treatment.
- With this particular family history of gout, we are further oriented that this is usually passed down through the mother.
- Children have, thus, high risk to be able to high levels of uric acid.
- I figured out to do some research to comprehend gout just a little better.
- I found out that small amounts of uric acid are common in our human body.
- Uric acid is actually a waste materials from dying cells dying.
- It likewise releases purines, which can also come from the food we eat.
- When excessive amount of uric acid is going in the blood vessels, you are in a problem called hyperuricemia.
Other foods that are particularly an excellent source of purines are: Mackerel Sardines dried beans dried peas liver kidney anchovies
- As the number of women who have gout increases, there are other problems that can also arise.
- For instance, women with gout may be 39% more likely to have a heart attack in accordance with some studies.
- However, the rise in the risk of heart attack for men with gout is far less.
When you've seriously ill people who have no options, 40 percent will be pretty good," said Dr. Michael Becker from the University of Chicago," author of the latest study, which was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. "Gout can be a serious and disabling disease."
- The old days gout sufferers used to have to drastically alter their diet to relieve and prevent gout symptoms.
- However contemporary medicine has eliminated this requirement.
- No matter drugs however, it will help you to go through some diet restrictions so as to reduce your weight and the severity of the gout assaults.
- By the way in which the information contained in this article is not medical advice, nor should it be taken as medical advice.
- That is for informational purposes only.
- As always with a physical illness you should seek advice from your personal doctor right away.
- Please! continue reading.
Its mechanism of action complements xanthine oxidase inhibitors like allopurinol and also febuxostat in reducing uric acid production, and BCX4208 is intended as an add-on therapy for those gouty arthritis patients who do not respond well in order to current gout medication.
Some people who have chronically high blood levels of urate (commonly referred to as uric acid) will go on to develop gout, but few people. In fact, up to around 2/3 of the population who have higher levels of urate do not become victims of gout. Why? No one really knows for sure. Could women have less tolerance for higher levels of uric acid since before menopause their levels are generally much lower? Once again, the jury is out on this one.
Healthy Lifestyle Remains as the Best Way to Prevent Any Kind of Disease and Illness
This article explains why the healthy living as gout reduction is still the best gout remedy of all. A number of relatives in my loved ones are suffering from uric acid pain and gout. Since these people have developed the habit of becoming aware of the foods they must avoid like purine rich foods and alcohol, we have grown to be aware that there is the possibility that these family illnesses could be transferred to us, the youngsters.
Krystexxa Emerges Intravenously Over No Less Than Two Hours Every Two Weeks
The Fda has warned that patients should be given a corticosteroid and antihistamine before infusions due to a high risk of allergic reaction. Other common side effects of Krystexxa are gout flare ups (which occurred in 80% of the recent trial participants), nausea and vomiting, chest pain, constipation, nasal irritation and bruising at the injection site.
You are on the heavy side and your body fat is above the ideal, you are up to four times more likely to get gout in the future when compared with someone with normal weight. Keeping the ideal weight will prevent you from gout but will also lower the risk of a heart disease and more stable blood pressure. For the future, researches are now trying to identify the link between high levels of uric acid and other illnesses like heart disease and hypertension. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle continues to be the best option to prevent each one of these diseases.
Like Lesinurad, BCX4208 was studied in gouty arthritis patients who had experienced high blood urate levels for at least 6 months, despite taking the gout drug allopurinol. The 279 study participants were randomly assigned to take BCX4208 at doses of possibly 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, or 40 mg once daily for 12 weeks. One group of individuals was given a placebo. All participants were also given allopurinal 300 mg once-daily.
Discover the Top Ways to Lose Weight Fast.
Low fibre breads and cereals 2. Vegetables 3. Fruit juice 4. Low fat cheese 5. Nuts 6. Peanut butter 7. A pot of soup (without meat) 8. Strawberries 9. Dark berries.
- Lesinurad is really a URAT1 transporter inhibitor which usually increases reduction of uric acid with the kidneys.
- Lesinurad is also active towards another important regulator of urate secretion, OAT4.
- OAT4 is thought to be responsible for the high uric acid levels in gouty arthritis patients whose condition is caused or worsened by diuretics.
Have you ever slammed a car door on your fingers? Perhaps you have experienced the hot, searing, excruciating pain in which shoots through your hand, which radiates through your body, when you do this? For those who have then you have a tiny idea of what gout suffers go through for hours at a time.
- With prolonged hyperuricemia due to harmful lifestyle, excessive amounts of uric acid have been accumulated in the body.
- This then allows the uric acid to crystallize as sodium urate in the joints.
- This is what triggers the unpleasant assault of gout.
- To prevent getting sick from the symptoms of gout, this becomes imperative to lessen one's uric acid levels in the body.
- This can be done with healthy lifestyle.
- Furthermore, your doctor can assist you with a blood test to diagnose your serum uric acid level.
- Sometimes, a kind of medication is needed to decrease the levels of uric acid.
- But changing the bad lifestyle habits remains as the best way to avoid gout episodes.
Johnson says the pharmaceutical company "expects to see a few speed in sales" as a result of their increased target market. The organization is said to be disappointed in the $1.4 zillion bucks in net sales the gout treatment generated in the first six months after receiving Food and drug administration approval.
- As you can see a diet for gout is a healthy diet, which can also help you to lose weight.
- The one thing that will give you the edge in Losing weight is to do something.
- Do it today.
- You will not lose weight if you don't start today:
Some Facts Surrounding the Probability of Developing Gout Show Consistency
Men between the ages of 40 and 50 appear to be the very best candidates. Women rarely show symptoms before menopause. Children and young adults are even less likely to be stricken with this painful condition. Heredity influences whether a person develops gout. Having a genetic predisposition makes up about about 18% of the instances.
Krystexxa is not intended for use in the typical gouty arthritis patient, most of which can be treated with more traditional gout medications such as Colcrys (generic colchicine) or Zyloprim (generic allopurinal). Currently, the new injectable gout drug costs about $5000 a month. It's hoped that gout patients who respond well to be able to the treatment could eventually use cheaper gout drugs.
At this point, Lesinurad appears the more promising of the two gout drugs, and the most likely to hit the market first. That outperformed BCX4208 in early clinical trials, and is farther ahead in the development and approval process. But individual responses in order to drugs vary, and gout patients will benefit from having two new approaches to reducing the symptoms of this painful condition.
Gout is a type of arthritic illness which occurs in your extremities such as the fingers, elbows, knees and toes. Uric acid will be the cause of gout and when there is excessive uric acid in the blood stream, crystal debris kind in your joints which causes puffiness, redness and excruciating pain.
Alex Ray Advocates With Regard to Affordable Access to Healthcare and Medication
She recommends Big Mountain Drugs as the best online Canadian pharmacy from which to buy allopurinol and colchicine for gout. For more information about gout and gout medication, go to the on the internet source www.colchicine.ca.
- Drinking a lot of water can have a positive effect on gout as water helps in the removal of uric acid which is what gout sufferers need.
- Furthermore, as you know water will help you to digest your food more thoroughly and help as well flush the surplus from your body.
- There are lots of low purine foods that could make up the majority of the diet for gout sufferers and the overweight.
- These include:
Gout, is not just a disease for men. It is also in increasing numbers of women suffer from gout. Colcrys 0.6 mg tablets may be prescribed for prevention and treatment of gout. Have a look at more gout information at http://www.colchicine.ca/
- You are overweight you are a prime candidate to get hit with a sever situation of gout.
- This article will explain how to lose weight with a diet for gout.
- You are an avid meat eater you may find it hard to adjust to a virtually meat free diet.
- Consider tofu as a meat option.
- It has a rough texture and is filling like meat.
Alex Ray Advocates for Affordable Access to Healthcare and Medication
She recommends Big Mountain Drugs as a reliable on the internet Canadian pharmacy from which to buy colchicine and also allopurinol for gout. For more information about gout and gout medication, visit the online resource www.colchicine.ca.
Susie is a leading curator at omex3.com, a resource about alternative natural health. Last year, Susie worked as a post curator at a well-known tech web site. When she's not sourcing web posts, Susie enjoys working out and skateboarding.