Osteoarthritis Knee: How to properly Care for your Joints to avoid Arthritis
People have yet to appreciate the number of common joint problems and their impact on their body's ability to move and function. Joint problems might cause reduced mobility and loss of range of motion. The number of individuals diagnosed with arthritis along with other bone and joint conditions rises day by day.
Healthy Eating and Drinking Habits
Cut down on fast foods which offer little nutrition. Fruits and vegetables, wholemeal cereals, and milk protect your muscles and joints. A diet rich in vitamins C, D & E promote joint health. Most forms of these ingredients are available in fruits, dairy products and vegetables. There are no dietary restrictions for most form of arthritis except for Gout, where red meat is restricted. Diet doesn't lead to aggravation of joint symptoms as many people complain.
Here are foods high in purines and to be avoided: Organ meat products such as liver, kidneys, tripe, sweetbreads and tongue, Excessive numbers of red meat, shellfish, fish roe and scallops,
The Benefits of Early Diagnosis
The earlier the diagnosis is made, the better are the chances to keep diseases such as arthritis or osteoporosis in check, and also offering the ability to advise on mitigating its effect," says Dr. A.K. Venkatachalam from Madras Joint Replacement Center in Chennai, Indian. "Such problems can not be entirely cured, but medicines and surgery can offer lasting pain relief and improve quality of life."
The cause of your symptom is indeed a genuine one, then early treatment can be acquired. Misalignment of the knee, ligament damage, cartilage tears, as well as obesity are treatable. A good osteotomy can correct misalignment. Arthroscopic surgery can provide several amelioration of symptoms in early cases of joint wear. Finally, when cartilage destruction is advanced, a partial or total knee replacement may be needed.
- What other symptoms do you have?
- Is there any numbness?
- Can you bend and straighten the joint?
- Does the joint feel stiff?
- Are your joints stiff in the morning?
- If so, how long can the stiffness last?
Osteoarthritis: Cause and Symptoms
In our previous article, we briefly discussed Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. This article will take a close look at the cause, symptoms, and current remedy used for Osteoarthritis. So let us take a second look at what Osteoarthritis is.
- Peas, lentils and beans, Alcohol and caffeine intakes should be reduced.
- A glass of beer a day or a smaller amount is recommended
High alcohol and caffeine intake High intake of food containing purines Some drugs employed to treat high blood pressure and long standing kidney diseases
There is No Sure Way to Prevent Arthritis in Any of Its Forms
There are however a lot of things that you can do to help lower your risk of developing Osteoarthritis or any other type of Arthritis. A few of the preventative methods that you may add to yourself today include:
- Osteoarthritis involves growth of bone spurs and degeneration of cartilage at a joint.
- It is quite common in those over 45 years old and also can cause joint pain.
Protect Your Joints
Exercise helps to relieve pain, improve circulation, tone up muscles and keep you fit, as well as improving an overall sense of well being. Your doctor can show you different types of exercise useful for your unique condition. Power jogging, hiking, swimming and cycling are exercises which don't place severe weight load on your knees and are easy to do. If you have any ligament problems, your doctor can advise on specific exercises. Exercises don't aggravate knee pain, as many people fear.
Exercise: Get a physical therapist to develop a great exercise program that's right for you. Don't get caught in this vicious cycle: Your joint pain prevents you from exercising, after that causes your own joints to be able to become weak further and your condition to be able to worsen.
Physical therapy for muscle and joint rehabilitation may be recommended.
Procedure called arthrocentesis may be needed to remove fluid from the sore joint.
Our center makes a specialty of Knee, Hip, and Shoulder Surgery. We treat local, national, and international patients along with all types of joint disorders at the Madras Joint Replacement Center by Dr.A.K.Venkatachalam.
Some of the complications of long time and serious cases of gout are deposits of uric acid salts that may appear around the affected joint as well as in tissues in the earlobes. These uric acid salts are chalk colored nodules, and are also known as tophi. The presence of uric acid salts will be an indication further treatment is needed.
- Joint pain may also be caused by bursitis.
- A List of Possible Causes: Autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus
The Cause of Osteoarthritis is Not Known, Yet Doctors Have Many Suspicions
Some of the symptoms of Osteoarthritis boggle the minds of scientists and more research needs to take place to determine the actual reason behind the disease. For instance, X-rays can tell that Arthritis is present, however the amount of pain reported through Osteoarthritis sufferers differs from the results of the X-ray. Though many people refer to Osteoarthritis as the wear and tear" condition, evidence shows that this disease and its mysterious cause are not as simple as that definition.
Fact, "wear and tear" does not take place in one joint, but affects joints concurrently throughout the body. An example of this, is that sufferers with Osteoarthritis of the knee, offer suffer Osteoarthritis in the hands. Also, doctors have noted that individuals don't suffer with Osteoarthritis on just one side of the body (as would be expected because of put on and tear) but because it seems to affect the body concurrently, it appears that Osteoarthritis is a systematic disease affecting all the normal cartilage at a time.
Goutezol High Uric Acid ReliefGoutezol Gout Relief contains calming botanical ingredients created to gently support healthy uric acid metabolism. Goutezol's ingredients have been used safely for many years to support healthy uric acid metabolism, helping in reducing high uric acid levels. Now they are all integrated into this special gout formula. Lowering uric acid and supporting uric acid metabolism has been shown to relieve the flare-ups associated with gout.
Learn More about This Product »
- Have you injured your joint?
- Have you had an illness or fever?
- Does resting the joint reduce the pain or make it worse?
Some Other Ideas that Point to the Cause of Osteoarthritis Include:
Previous Sports related or Joint Injuries ' Genetically Inherited (it appears in which Osteoarthritis runs in families) ' Repeated Occurrences of Bleeding into a Joint (as occurs with Hemophilia and other diseases) ' Repeated Occurrences of Gout as well as Gout like Diseases ' Avascular Necrosis- this is a condition where blood close to a bone will be cut off, this leads to bone death as well as joint damage. Avascular Necrosis typically afflicts the hip joint. ' Earlier Rheumatoid Related Illness- such as Rheumatoid Arthritis can lead to chronic inflammation of the joints. ' Osteoporosis-due to the high risk of bone fractures and injury, Osteoarthritis may develop in joints. ' Metabolic Disorders- for example, Hemochromatosis can lead to high levels of Iron being transferred in the joints ' Joint Infection-It is believed that cartilage may deteriorate in people who have problems in their cartilage and joints.
About the Author:Written by JohnRobben of Ultimate Water Massage, Inc.
Providing MassageServices and Pain relief products. Visit our own Arthritis InformationCenter.
- The condition where there is a rise in blood's uric acid level is called hyperuricaemia.
- With the presence of such condition it is no wonder that uric acid crystals are formed in the joints.
- These crystals are responsible for the inflammation referred to as gouty arthritis or acute gout.
- Joint pain Joint pain can affect one or more joints.
- While there is no cure for joint pain, you can get relief.
- The treatment options range from changes in your lifestyle, medications, medical equipment and/or surgery.
- Does moving the joint reduce the pain or make it worse?
- Are certain positions comfortable?
- Does keeping the joint elevated help?
- Do medicines, massage, or applying heat reduce the pain?
- Lose weight: If you are overweight lose the extra weight.
- Studies show losing as little as 11 pounds can cut the risk of osteoarthritis of the knee by 50 %.
Maintain an Ideal Body Weight ' Take Steps to Prevent the Development of Osteoporosis
Some of these include using adequate Vitamin D and Calcium, exercising, and taking medication if needed. ' Do your best to prevent hurting your bones and joints -try to prevent accidents such as sports related, implementing joint defense through the use of splints and braces.
Osteoarthritis is Known by Many as "Wear and Tear" Arthritis
It is one of the most common forms of Arthritis and is the result of cartilage wearing away from the joints. This cartilage is responsible for the smooth gliding of joints, and once it begins to deteriorate, the patient is left with pain, shared swelling and inflammation, and even deformity.
Crash Diets Should Also be Avoided
Some drugs for high blood pressure may need to be altered or adjusted An important aspect of treating gout is lowering the uric acid levels. There are some drugs that will bring down the uric acid level in the body. However, it should be noted that these drugs only temporarily treat symptoms of gout and should not be taken on a long-term basis. The dosage is based on the level of uric acid found in the body. Regular check ups are required in order to get to the maintenance dosage that may prevent recurrent gout assaults.
- How long have you been having this pain?
- Maybe you have had it before?
- Did this pain begin suddenly and severely, or slowly and mildly?
- One suggestion is that Osteoarthritis is a result of cartilage that has stopped functioning at optimum level.
- Cartilage is continuously undergoing a process exactly where it is broken down, then rebuilt.
- Some theories state that this process becomes unbalanced as well as out of hand.
- This particular is referred to as "End Stage Osteoarthritis." It is during this period that joint pain and impairment begin to manifest.
- There are numerous natural remedies that show promise in the management of Osteoarthritis soreness and symptoms.
- Look for future articles in our Arthritis Series that offer natural remedies that may prevent enzymes from damaging cartilage.
- Joint pain can be caused by many types of injuries or conditions.
- No matter what the cause is, joint pain can be very troublesome.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that causes stiffness and pain in the joints.
What can be Done to Mitigate the Bone and Joint Disease?
We can look at this from a large and small perspective. While osteoarthritis is the bane of middle and late age, traffic accidents, trauma and fractures can be prevented by action at the appropriate political degree. Protective measures such as wearing seat belts within autos, or protective gear for sports and routines may help prevent like injuries.
- What makes the rigidity better?
- Tests that may be done include: CBC or blood differential
Individuals can Postpone Joint Problems Through:
Regular exercise Putting your joints through a full range of movement each day - this is all that's needed for general joint health Avoid weight gain Learn to be able to differentiate between the pain of overuse and disease. Any joint pain lasting for more than one hour after being active is not overuse discomfort, but may signify a trauma or perhaps medical condition Use the largest shared suitable for any muscular effort.
Osteoarthritis Osteomyelitis Septic arthritis Tendinitis Unusual exertion or overuse, including strains or sprains When should i contact my doctor?
Joint Pain- this tends to be worse when rising inside the morning Joint Swelling and Inflammation- this occurs during periods of activity ' Feeling a "Grinding" Sensation when a Joint is moved Loss of Mobility and Flexibility
Bursitis Chondromalacia patellae Gout (especially found in the big toe) Infectious diseases, including Epstein-Barr viral syndrome Hepatitis
- The following questions may help recognize the cause of your joint pain: Which joint hurts?
- Is the pain on one side or both sides?
- The first step in treating gout is to correct the factors that increase the levels of uric acid in the body.
- Individuals should also work to avoid consuming purine rich foods since these substances are found to be able to contain a lots of uric acid.
- Summary, joint problems are rife between the population and deserve your immediate attention.
- Appointment together with your physiotherapist, physician or orthopedic surgeon will be better than self medication and also treatment.
- Gout usually attacks people in whose uric acid level has always been above normal.
- There are various reasons why uric acids level increases in the body:
- The major cause of gout is the accumulation of uric acid in the joints.
- The uric acid is a chemical that is a natural part of the normal breakdown and build up of food in body tissues.
- The level of uric acid may be found and measured in the blood.
The higher than normal uric acid levels may be inherited in a few families Obesity was also found to cause gout attacks
6 Great Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis
These mobility exercises should be performed at least once per day. For best results slowly work up to 3 times per day.
- When you have fever not associated with the flu.
- When you have lost 10 pounds or more without trying.
- When your joint pain lasts for above 3 days.
- High-impact exercises like jogging/running should generally be avoided.
- Wear good, soft, cushiony shoes.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Smoking affects bone health plus your response to treatment.
- Joint problems affect more than 400 million people worldwide, and complaints of back aches are the most common cause of workplace absenteeism.
- Osteoarthritis in knee and hip joints is the most common joint issue affecting senior citizens.
- With this in mind, it's timely and employed to draw attention to the need for every person to care for their particular joints.
- Osteoarthritis patients usually state that their pain is greatest during times of movement, and then lowers significantly during periods of rest.
- Osteoarthritis affects many more women than men.
- There is an estimated 24 million Osteoarthritis sufferers in the United States and roughly 74% are women.
- When you have severe, unexplained joint pain, especially if you have other unexplained symptoms.
- Your health care provider will perform a physical exam and ask you about your medical history.
Likewise, it is important for patients using medications to be able to realize that during the first few months of treatment, it is still possible to have gout attacks, however severe gouty attacks are lessened.
Joint Injury and Bone Conditions Aren't Limited to Older Persons
Today, many young people suffer knee injuries in sports or through accident or trauma. Teens and young adults engaging in high-impact sports and activities such as soccer, football and skateboarding often shrug off their injuries and take all of them lightly. Unfortunately, these injuries are likely to create problems with function and mobility in the short-term, and as they age.
- The pain constant or does it come and go?
- Provides the pain become more severe?
- What started your pain?
- As long as the level of uric acid continues to be lower than the normal any symptoms of gout are a remote possibility.
- Provided of course that medication is continued.
- Some drugs work by increasing elimination of uric acid through the kidney while others just hinder the formation of uric acid in the first place.
- We've discussed the potential causes of Osteoarthritis, now it is time to look at the various symptoms of Osteoarthritis.
- The symptoms of Osteoarthritis include:
Influenza Lyme disease Measles (rubeola) Mumps Parvovirus Rheumatic fever Rubella (German measles) Varicella (chickenpox) Injury, including fracture
- Minutes of exercise at a time -- three or four days a week -- may be advised.
- Some suggestions: Water Workouts, Biking, walking, just low-impact workout's that won't put pressure on your joints.
Visit the Nail Care Tips website to learn about cutting dogs nails and yellowish toe nails
Susie is a leading curator at omex3.com, a resource about alternative natural health. Last year, Susie worked as a post curator at a well-known tech web site. When she's not sourcing web posts, Susie enjoys working out and skateboarding.